13 September 2013

The Moonstone Mines

I remember in the first grade I did a major project on rocks and minerals.  My love hasn't died.  When I heard there was a Moonstone Mine near Hikkaduwa, I jumped at the chance.

They'll give you a tour of the area when you show up and show you how gemstones are mined.

The shaft where they pull them out of white clay.

Washing them.

Fresh Moonstones!

A day of work (these are all raw gemstones)

So many Gemstones!!

Cutting and polishing the raw material

It kinda makes you wonder how much we're getting ripped off by current jewelry prices, ya?  Clearly these are not limited resources.

It's totally free to go, but you're basically forced to buy something after the tour is over.  I finally managed to get some "raw" gemstones which I'm hoping to cut and polish one day in the very near future, by myself, for less about 1000 rupees (less than $10)--3 moonstones, a Calcite square, and a dark amethyst.  Probably a ripoff, but I need raw gemstones.

- Did you know that moonstones are made of Feldspar and can be clear, clear with a metallic blue sheen, or dark and rainbowy?
- Did you know moonstones are commonly thought to bring good luck?
- ...that blue calcite is good for your throat chakra?
- ...that amethysts used to be extremely valuable till they discovered an enormous mine in Brazil?

I love gemstones.

No comments:

Post a Comment