03 September 2013

Thallaimannar--Only Good if You Can Make It Work

I wanted to visit the sandbar that connects Sri Lanka to India, called Adam's Bridge, but it turned out to be another one of those Lost Quests that I am so apt to going on.

First, you have to go all the way across Mannar Island to Thallaimannar (prounounced Tally Mannar) and ask the Navy to take you there in a boat. 

I messed this up the first day.  I got off at some random place, then couldn't find the navy (and I searched for over an hour), so I went back home and fooled around on the internet (on my cell phone, lol, there were no internet cafes, which is why I haven't been able to update).

I decided to stay around one more day and try again.  This time I got to the navy, but they tried charging me about 6 times what I was told (my guidebook said 600 rupees; the navy said 3600 rupees, which is about $30).

I was kind of torqued out by that.  I came all that way, twice, and I didn't even have that much money ON me.  I really wanted to see the damn sandbar. 

So, basically, I wasted like 2 days in Mannar.
 
You get to pass through a barren plane, an evil forest, and an outlandish graveyard, but this in no way shape or form makes up for the Lost Quest for Adam's Bridge.




~~~
THE EVIL FOREST





No comments:

Post a Comment