05 September 2013

Jaffna

After leaving the Isle of Mannar, I took a bus to Jaffna.
d

I wanted to leave early because the north is still very war-torn and I just didn't want to be out after dark in a war-torn city as a lone female.  I've learned my lesson.

So, after the Thallaimannar incident, I basically had to wait another 24 hours--the bus ride is about 4 hours, and you have to stop through at least one military checkpoint so that the army can take down your details.  (Yes, really, they make you get off the bus and go in for an interview where you are expected to give them all your particulars as well as a copy of your passport, which I did not have.  Everyone else sits on the un-airconditioned bus waiting for you and hating your ass.)

I just sort of put my stuff down at the first possible hotel in Jaffna (and dealt with the consequences of that, nevermind).

I then took a stroll around town and saw the following points of interest:


A column thingy

The Fort


Rubble in the Fort

More of the Fort

The clock tower

War ruins
I will refrain from discussing the War or the toll it has taken on Sri Lankan society here.  I'm not going to say a word about it.  I will keep discussion solely upon my own superficial, self-absorbed rememberences and visual experiences without waxing poetic about "the enduring strength of human resilience" or whatever tosh money-laden, privileged white people are supposed to think about 3rd world survivors.

So if you're expecting a discussion of the War, too bad for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment