28 December 2011

Newspaper Fun

Having quoted extensively out of the Cambodia Daily in my last entry, I thought I'd give you some more of what I read every day.

Apparently, this week we are in something of a cold snap.

The nationwide cold snap that began on Saturday is expected to last until at least Friday, with temperatures dipping to 12 degrees in the Dangrek Mountains and 14 degrees in Battambang, Banteay Meanchey, Siem Reap and Pailin, the Ministry of Water Resources and Meteorology has said in a statement....Banteay Meanchey governor Ung Oeun said he had directed local authorities this week to alert villagers to the dangers of cold weather, and tell the elderly to stay inside....
One soldier also tells us that
Last night was very unusually cold. Everyone wore jackets and kramas around their necks, and those who never drink alcohol were forced to drink a bit to keep their body warm.
The coldness is apparently a high pressure system coming from China which is being held in stasis over our country by strong monsoon winds. I bet y'all are laughing at our deep freeze about now. Lol.

They also published this lovely article about the pigeons that gather outside the Royal Palace.

As in major world cities, such as New York and London, feeding and gazing at pigeons has become a favorite pastime for some in Phnom Penh, now that hundreds of the winged creatures can frequently be seen swirling about the Royal Palace.

Every day, I pass these birds on the way to work. Sometimes, they crap on my clothes, but it's true that there really are people around taking their pictures. The first time I saw this phenomenon, I didn't understand it...but thanks to the Cambodia Daily, now I do.

The newspaper further informs us that last year,
City Hall asked guards in the area to look out for the pigeons after it noticed that some were being killed or abused.

Even the the pigeons are prone to polluting the landmark buildings like the National Museum, the Royal Palace, and the Supreme Court, the city is able to clean those areas on a daily basis...

Whenever I start to get annoyed at Cambodia, I always read something like this, and somehow it just brightens my day.

I have a lot else to thank the newspaper for, including headlines such as these:

Government Ordered Release of Pedo, Prince Says

Apparently the pedo in question was a Russian investor, wanted by the interpol and the Russian government.

Drunk Man Kills Self, Friend With Anti-Tank Mine

Don't drink and play with mines.

Homeless Children Are Another Face of the US Recession

paired with

Super Rich Buy Up $6.2 Billion of Luxury London Property


It's not exactly 7Days, but I appreciate the Cambodia Daily for these and many other reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment