27 August 2013

The Non-Safari

Safaris are expensive.  You have to pay a jeep to take you there, you have to pay the park's fee, you have to pay a surcharge per group, you have to pay an additional fee I forget, and then you have to pay a value-added tax.

I wanted to see the elephants in Minneriya National Park, but didn't really want to shell out that kind of money.  So my guesthouse manager asked his friend to take me to an overlook of the park, in his car, with me only compensating the guy for time and gas.

We went there in the evening (and this was on the third evening, because we were rained out twice), sat on the overlook...and no elephants came out.

Instead, this is what I saw:

The Watering Hole!

If you zoom in, you can see a BIRD!

Rain over the watering hole!

A cloudscape!

A HOLE IN THE CLOUDS!

The Minneriya Park Roadsign!


Plus a buckeye butterfly.  Hooray.

Good thing I didn't waste my money going inside.  I hate elephants.

No comments:

Post a Comment