16 February 2014

Bangcock.

Tonight I'm in Bangkok yet again.

Why, you ask?  Well, because I enjoy torturing myself  by putting myself through the hell that is the night bus to Poipet, the on-foot border crossing, and the navigation through the largest (and least friendly) city in a developing country.  That, and I'm headed back to Sri Lanka again.

Before you ask me why a second time, I'll just cut the conversation short.  Get to that part later.

You're probably worried about this situation because of all the stuff in the news about riots and uprisings and protests and stuff.  Fear not!  The fighting is not in my part of the city, though tourism is all but halted and the streets have been taken over by protesters blaring their stuff out for the cheering masses.  Normally buzzing after dark, a dark silence the curbside market places despite the blaring loudspeakers.

I went to Siam Square only to find the streets blocked off and filled with tents.  People are more or less not budging from this spot till their demands are served!  Major arteries are now protest sites.  I regret that I didn't bring a camera, but you can get a good look at it here:
http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/thailand/2014/01/15/whats-bangkok-really-like-during-the-shutdown/

Also, I bought this shirt:

Shut Down Bangkok!
That's what I say.
The protesters' goals are similar to mine.
It was pretty cool to wander the streets without masses of tourists for a change.  And interesting!  These are the forces that are shaping our world, folks.

There are also plenty of armed soldiers behind sandbags, but given the state that my hometown of Phnom Penh is in, I can't complain...or even summon the energy to feel awed, threatened, or mildly interested.

Actually, the only thing I can do is pray that Thailand gets what's coming to it.  If the entire country and all its people went down in flames, that would scarcely be comeuppance enough.  I bought a shitload of things (which I now have to drag through Sri Lanka with me) because I ponder the state of the city when I return in two weeks.

4 comments:

  1. when in bangcock you 'd better bang a good cook, or else you might find yourself down with the flu(e)ids.
    just sayin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I eat at Subway. Hasn't killed me yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, one more thing. the cambodians despise us even more!!! ever been to the manhattans club? a disco the phnom penhians for some reason call "the holiday". frequented almost exclusively by chinese-cambos, in all of my, say 7 years in SE asia, this was the only time i was mobbed out of a place. anectdata, still, go figure. i wish you good luck w japan, ain't holding my breath tho. Saigon could be a good place for you. anywhoo you've got the time, many places left to go to, check em out

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never did go to the Manhatten's Club.

    Yeah, I've done enough reading to conclude that Japan is going to suck, and I'm likely to get exploited and abused (not that this is different than life here). Not to be overly negative about that, but someone said stuff to shatter my dream bubble last night. I'm still stewing. There IS no better future!! Luckily, Japan is somewhere I've long wanted to visit, and I've long wished to learn the language.

    ReplyDelete