17 February 2014

Droppin in on Sri Lanka

Well, sorry folks.

I had to drop back in on Sri Lanka for a week.  (Even I can afford to do this when I take Cathay Pacific's crap 2 am flight from Bangkok for 220 USD.  Despite the chauvinism expressed by their marketing department, I actually thought the service was quite OK.)

Why did I do that?  Well, I didn't say anything about it last time, but while I was in Sigiriya last time, I somehow became appended to a local family and I thought I'd drop in on them while I still had the chance.

It didn't work out, actually, but never mind.  Here are some quick photos I took while I was there.

The guesthouse where we stayed

Jungly things

I went back to Anaradhapura, where I got lost last time.  I wanted to see the world's oldest cared-for tree, which is said to have been a clipping of the boddhi tree under which the Buddha  received enlightenment.  How cool is that?  My sense of history was engaged; problem is, I didn't get to visit last time due to getting lost.  So I hopped the first bus to Anaradhapura and visited for the afternoon:

A dome

Lovelorn monkey

Here it is...the clipping of the tree under which the Buddha received enlightenment.

Another view

Another view.  No, I did not go inside.

I forget what this is

Damn green country

Dirty jungle river

I had about $125 that I lived off of the entire time I was there.  Then I took the bus home from Bangkok in a glorious display of 48-hour long endurance.

So, it is possible to travel if you're poor.  Just a word of affirmation for those who think they don't have the money to travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment