21 February 2014

Khmer Lessons

I had this entire entry written out MONTHS ago on my old computer extolling my linguistic genius, but alas.  I was forcibly divested of it before I had the chance to publish it.  So I'll just write an updated version now.

Basically, I've now been taking Khmer language lessons for about a year and a half.  I haven't been studying much--it's sort of my afternoon hobby; for $5 per hour, I take a class once a day.

I don't practice much outside of class, largely because people address me in English anyway and most of what I do has become habitual, routine, and non-interactive.  Note that I think this is kind of sad, but currently lack the inspiration to do otherwise.

I've still managed to develop basic communication skills that could probably save my life if I were stranded in the backwoods.  That's not saying a lot, mind you, but considering the (lack of) effort I put into it--and my inability to speak the Arabic I studied for 5 years in college--I consider this an achievement.

Actually, my capacities to speak far exceed my capacities to listen, meaning I start shooting off my mouth in order to cover my incompetence in registering what people say.  I'm currently to the point where I've got a basic system down (I know all the basic grammar), but my vocabulary is so stunted that it inhibits me from reaching the next level.  I'm also completely illiterate, which is finally starting to annoy me.

I'll use the rest of this space for some tips on speaking a foreign language.

- I like to repeat whatever someone says to me.  This appears to show a sincere interest in the other person, but actually it's a method of buying time to think and pretending like you understand when you don't.
- Whatever word you pick up on, respond to that one.  If you understand the nature of the interaction, you don't even have to understand the words at all, and you'll still be right.

Just wait till I tell you the one about dengue fever.

No comments:

Post a Comment