08 June 2017

This Working Out Thing Isn't Working Out

After nearly a decade of sitting around on my ass due to unemployment, illness, depression, and boredom, I've come to realize this is a problem.  Watching my father die due to his shitty upkeep habits, and seeing my own life fall apart over the course of this blog (and several prior blogs), and knowing how it feels to be chronically ill and miserable, I've come to the conclusion that none of this must ever happen again.

Therefore, I've started a cardio-conditioning program at a local gym.  I chose it because they teach martial arts, which I also want to start.  A month's membership costs almost 100 dollars, but you can join any of the classes at any time and use any of the equipment at any time.  I figure the price alone will motivate me to do more.

After two weeks (which is 10 hour-long sessions), I'm already seeing improvement.  Not much.  But when the first day you come in half an hour late, then overheat and start throwing up, it's hard NOT to see improvement when you simply survive the entire session.

I've also stopped throwing out my stomach muscles (yes, this can apparently happen).

It's really not easy, though.  First of all, there is no air-con.  So, it's already 85+ degrees in there.  I've literally never sweated so hard in my entire life; it runs down my face and chest and back and drips onto the floor.  Some guy has to come around with a mop to clean up after all us pigs sweating our life out shamelessly onto the mats.  (I am NOT making this up).  I come out dripping wet and basically stand in the shower with my clothes on since they're as dirty as I am.

If it helps me recover the health I once had, and better yet helps me shed the dumpy middle-aged body I've somehow acquired since starting this blog, I'm happy to do it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment