20 May 2017

Khmer Lessons, Part II

I've nearly finished the 5-book sequence by now.  (I am appalled that the books went up from 7 dollars apiece to 20 in the space of two short years, but then, the classes nearly doubled as well...).  I am hoping to finish the series by the time I take off.  At 20 dollars apiece, I better.

I've also finished the first writing book.  Amazing to think I learned dozens of letters in several months and now I can actually read them!

Again, I have to reiterate that it's an impossible fucking script.  There are 70+ letters, many more diacritic marks, old fashioned letters that look like more familiar letters but aren't pronounced that way, and I come across a new, inexplicable diacritic mark every single passage I read.  Add to that the fact that Khmer is about as phonetic as English, with all sorts of traps and tricks and silent -e's & other letters and non-sensical spellings...well, you've got a recipe for suffering.

So every day for 1-2 hours, my reading teacher and I struggle through yet another painful passage intended for Khmer 2nd graders.  I am hoping I can improve significantly over the next 6 weeks, that is for sure.  Cause this is something more akin to torture.

No comments:

Post a Comment