01 October 2015

Fleeing Japan

So there I was, stuck in Japan, unable to earn enough to escape, and without anywhere to go.  Depressed beyond recognition, detesting my job, locked in my room.  I was trapped.  I became a semi-functional hikikomori wishing only to end this tormented existence.

Then, I did.

To the heavens above, I swear this was all set up somehow.  It pulled me out of one fated misery into quite another.

In September of 2015, I received an email quite out of the blue that my father (living in the UK) had been diagnosed with the old family curse, pancreatic cancer, and needed me to come at once.

Though I was not speaking to my mother, she clearly had to bail me out of Japan as I no longer had a functional credit card to purchase a plane ticket with.

She did.  I flew to the UK, after several days of packing and fighting Emirates airlines for bullshit luggage policies that their Asian employees are too rigid, unintuitive, and unintelligent to know how to operate.

I flew out of the misery that my life had been in East Asia, and into a situation even uglier.

(Backdated 9 June 2017)

No comments:

Post a Comment