22 January 2012

Rant: Why I Hate My ID Card

School's back in session. It's been back in session for two weeks actually, but I haven't been able to muster the motivation to comment on it.

My major issue this term is that I now live twice as far from the campuses as I did before. And that's an unpleasant distance to have to walk.

My other issue is just my anti-authoritarian control issues rearing their ugly head again. People who know me, know how resistant I can be towards someone making a perfectly reasonable request--and I still don't know why I do this.

Somehow, somewhere, someone decided that they needed to have an "ID Card Check" at every entrance of every building. Now there's some stuffy looking guy from admin informing me that I have to wear my name tag at all times.

I don't want to wear the name tag. Why? Because it's a liability. It's the first thing that's going to be lost. I'm going to put it in my pocket, and it's going to fall out. I'm going to take it off and accidently leave it on the table at KFC. The same reason that I had to pay hundreds and hundreds of dirhams to the American University in Dubai after I kept losing the dorm keys. The thing is better off staying on my table at home. I'm completely irresponsible with my things, and I don't want to wear the damn ID card.

And, not to carry the gripe futher than it needs to go, but what is this? Nazi Germany? "Where are your papers, ma'am?" I'm a responsible adult; I don't wanna be treated like that.

In all honesty, though, it really shouldn't be the problem that it is for me, especially given that You must wear your ID Card at all times is posted in the sheet of rules I was given when I first started working here (and is posted multiple times in each teacher's lounge). So it's not like they're wrong. Everyone else wears their nametags; no one else seems to have issues with it, either, just me.

But how is it that I've managed to go for more than a year--AN ENTIRE YEAR--without anyone ever once saying anything about my missing ID card? And now suddenly, they've got a guy at every door, not letting people inside who don't have nametags? It's retarded. I guess the word must have gotten around about the renegade teacher who refuses to wear her nametag (because that's what they spend their time and money discussing)!

I really don't wanna do what they've been telling me to do...but on the other hand, I really don't want to turn such a retarded issue into some ridiculous conflagration. Crap, I hate being in this position, though.

*I somehow made it through grade school and high school without getting in trouble, in case you're wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment