17 October 2011

My Anniversary!!

Today is the one-year anniversary of the day I first came to Cambodia: 17 October 2010.

I'm not quite sure how to take the news.

I've been sick for three-quarters of the year; I've had two jobs; I've lost my internet; and now I have even less money than I came with. AND I'M STILL GLAD I CAME TO CAMBODIA. I could shout it from the rooftops all night!

I remember how it felt, flying in after my ordeal with Aston Jining. The relief that hit me with a gust of tropical air as I stepped off the plane at 10 pm, Dara waiting at the entrance. Coming to Okay Guesthouse, glowing golden in the evening air, and having someone to help me up the stairs with my suitcase.

Help, for God Sake! Help, support and kindness from strangers--something completely unheard of in China! I wept with relief and joy in the muggy night; I inhaled the muggy, warm air; and I curled gratefully up in my clean, white 6x8 cell.

Despite the hardships I have undergone, I don't regret my decision to dump China for this. Not for one minute. And I never will.

I don't know what the next year is going to look like--I still suffer from hypothyroid symptoms; my lease expires soon, and I've got no money. But I, Holyrockthrower, shall adventure forth into an uncertain future, unrestrained by fact or fear.

No regrets.

4 comments:

  1. You make my heart grow bigger than my chest! (Well, not literally, otherwise I'd be dead.hehe). I can feel my pride as a Cambodian. It's a joy when I know that you love it here. I don't know much about Americans, or why you find us so helpful or kind. It's a normal thing to help each other, and with foreigners, we help them more.

    I guess, we just like giant people who seem so delicate or don't get used to difficult life like us, with all the hot sun, dirty streets, moto-dops, or the lack of hygiene and all, so it's our job to take care of you.

    Even it's not always the case, but for me,I'm glad you're fond of our little Cambodia.

    I wish you another happy year, minus the hypothyroid, of course. Hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. The contrast was with China, a land of Ebeneezer Scrooges--no help, no kindness, no compassion, nothing. Even if I were Chinese, I could not live in China.

    Thanks for rubbing it in about how big I am. It makes me feel better; the foreign men don't point it out nearly enough how disgusting I look. :D It's also the reason motodops won't leave me alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made me burst out laughing again...Hehehe Ebeneezer Scrooges...sounds like Chinese indeed.

    I didn't mean to offend you, I just said it in a general way. Don't you get it? Most of us are very drawn to you, too, coz you seem to have a different psychological reaction to stuff. It's hard to explain, but well, no matter how horrible we look on the outside, we're still the same on the inside, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we're all the same on the inside.

    ReplyDelete