21 October 2011

He...Died?

The news that greeted me this morning was that a certain Libyan with an unspellable last name was executed by his own people after a long uprising. As a History and Middle Eastern Studies major, I have lots of questions about the whole affair, like
  1. "Who will take power now? Will it really usher in a democratic era for the Libyan people?"
  2. "How come NATO made it a priority to invade Libya but not Syria, where the leadership has been doing comparable (and maybe worse) things for decades?"
  3. "How come no one ever reported from Qaddafi's side? We know all about the rebels war effort, but surely the people who supported him were not nameless, faceless video-game enemies? Surely they had their reasons?"
  4. "Are we all aware that much of the fighting was divided among pre-existing tribal lines? This won't create any old resentments, will it?"
  5. And most importantly, "NOW who am I gonna represent at the Model Arab League?"
Also, I left my shoes outside last night, and someone stole them. That meant I had to go to school barefoot today...dammit.

No comments:

Post a Comment