09 March 2011

Before We Begin...

This blog is actually a continuation of my old one on travelblog.org. I started off with plans to travel, but seeing that I've lived in Phnom Penh for the last five months and haven't traveled at all, I figure the least I can do is set up a proper blog. Hopefully, one that's more user friendly and has better control over the visual aids.

Here is a link to my old one, if you'd like to know my back-story. It's in reverse chronological order: The adventures of a global drifter begin...

After a recent brush with my own mortality (which, as it turns out, wasn't actually all that dangerous, even though I was convinced that death was closing in all around me), I have decided that it would behoove me to leave a legacy.

Since I'm one of those odd American girls with no reservations about moving to developing countries for the heck of it, and since I haven't found a lot of other girls like me, I have come to the conclusion that the best thing I can do is leave a record of my experiences here.

Maybe I can inspire someone else to follow her dreams. Who knows?

4 comments:

  1. I'm very proud of your brave heart and commitments you've done to the Cambodian people.

    I'm a Cambodian and living in Minnesota for the last 30 years and I can not think of returning any time soon but might be in a few years for my early retirement from the corporate world - The Travelers Insurance. My home and family are here but my heart is still in Cambodia.

    I grew up in PP and I had to stow away from Sihanouk Ville Port in mid 1980 and ended up in Panay Islans, Philippines. There were 12 of family members and only two of us have survived. I return to Cambodia every year for the last 5 years to visit my only surviving sister in Pursat Province.

    Again, all the best to your adventure!

    Theary Kem
    Minnesota, USA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Theary, for sharing your story. Thank you also for taking the time to read this first entry.

    Good luck with your early retirement. I hope you can come back to this place if it really is your heart's desire.

    All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adventures and doing what one wants; I like that too. Ditching the modern life and opting for a life where one has more control and therefore have clearer view of one's action is something I dig also.

    Your honesty, humor, adventures and a sense of justice is very much appreciated. I am one dreamer that supports you.

    Kent

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kent,

    Thank you for saying that. Not nearly enough people seem to be able to leave words of appreciation for my blogging. It means a lot when someone "gets" what I'm all about.

    ReplyDelete