18 March 2013

Ratnapura: Or, How to Recover from Adam’s Peak

I awoke at 7am the next morning when the guesthouse came to my room, calling me for breakfast.

I wanted to get breakfast…the problem with this a) I felt too sick to get out of bed and b) even if I hadn’t felt like crap, it was firmly impossible for me to move my legs.

I had to ask them to bring the food to my room.  I simply couldn’t walk.  It was like being hamstrung--my calf muscles and thighs were seized up in painful knots.  I walked like a robot without knees.  Worse, I was so dehydrated that I felt physically ill.  I had to have them bring me a lot of lemon juices till I felt like I could eat again.

I decided I’d stay in Ratnapura for several days just to let my legs recover.  Walking around town was comical at best; at worst, just embarrassing and painful.  I doddered around like a kneeless robot, and everyone was like, “Ha ha, Adam’s Peak!!”

I hate showing I’ve been affected by things (I AM NOT A MERE MORTAL!), so I mostly hung out at the internet café, Pizza Hut (lol, it’s been so long since I’ve had crappy American food, come on!), and in the guesthouse’s massage parlor, where I got a leg massage till I fell asleep.

I called it a day and went back to bed.

Not interesting, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment