14 May 2011

Good People are Born in May

So what do you do for your birthday?

Picnic in a park? Dinner out with friends? Par-TAY??

Do you get a national holiday, five days off work, and fireworks the night before your big day? Well, DO YA?

I do! I used to hate my birthday, because, apart from Mike Oldfield and the guy who wrote The Wizard of Oz, no famous people have been born on May Fifteenth. No AWESOME famous people anyway.

And guess what? Still no one is! But the king of this country was born on the 14th, and so, as long as I live in Cambodia, my birthday will always within the "birthday sandwich" of time off.

There is pretty much no other equally cool ruler on the planet today (except Sheikh Mohammed). King Sihamoni is the awesome sort of king who has studied film-making in North Korea, taught ballet in Paris, and *ahem* thinks of women as his sisters. He formerly served as Cambodia's ambassador to UNESCO (I AM JEALOUS). A shy and sensitive soul, he was somewhat uncomfortable being named king/demi-god--which ought to be the first qualification for the job! He is mostly apolitical. He radiates goodness.

Most charming picture of a sovereign ruler ever! -->>>


Like I say, Good people are born in May!

AND I got a perfect view of the fireworks from my balcony!

And that is the reason I am now happy with my birthday, May the Fifteenth. Happy Birthday to all, and to all a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment