01 April 2017

The Moto Affair, Parts II, III, IV, and V

So, as you probably don't remember, about 6 years ago (??  shit.) I first tried learning how to drive a motorbike thinking it would make my daily life a bit easier.  This was during my Thyroid Time, meaning that it was exhausting just staying vertical and I got weird leg cramps from trying.  In the end, I was in such a bad physical and psychological state that I just never left the house...so I never learned.

I had given my tuk tuk driver 50 dollars when he claimed to have a doctor's fee, on the condition that he had to teach me to drive.

Well, during my time here, I finally made good on that.

Let me tell you about it.
It's just like this.
First of all, it's scary-as-hell the first time you try.  You're sitting on this 1-ton machine that can go very fast, and you don't even know where the brake is (actually, there are two).  You can really only learn through experimentation, so you have to do it, but you feel like you can't do it without knowing first.

In my case, I got around this by going really really really slow, in a really big circle.  There are numerous videos of me doing this.  I will share but two:




Shifting gears, which are under your left foot, is another thing.  Also not inadvertently jamming on the gas when you turn sharply (which is in the right handlebar).  I did this on more than one occasion, plowing into a wall at a wat at 20 kmh because I forgot that brakes existed.  Yes, brakes exist, there are two of them, in two different places.  I swear, this gets easier.  Also, that it hurts to crash into something even at low speeds.

I practiced driving on concrete, on sand, in a Wat, in the countryside, in Olympic Stadium (where I drove through a food fest, woo!).  After several 2-hour sessions, I felt confident to go on my own.  Sure the traffic in Phnom Penh is hell, but I already ride my bike through it.  I guess this is just a step up.
True story.

No comments:

Post a Comment