04 April 2017

Ruby Bridges

So I attended this new school today.  It is called the Royal University of Phnom Penh (RUPP) and is intended for local people.  However, they have a Khmer for Foreigners program.

PROOF!


Most of these foreigners are Korean or Philipinos.  I, on the other hand, am this random middle-aged white woman who shows up on a rickety bicycle (which I proceed to chain to a pole) in a peasant hat to block the elements during my journey.  Let's just say, I stand out a little.  I feel their eyes excoriating my soul as I walk past them to class.  As long as they don't tell me they're going to poison me, we're good.

On the plus side, I'm finding the first two lessons very easy.  Months of practice as a hobby have put my spoken Khmer in a pretty good place.  Alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment